Mix Khichdi | Age group - 6 months plus.
Across India, across cultures and across all traditions, Mix Khichdi has been every child’s first meal. One of the oldest and a traditional favourite meal of baby.
It has goodness of all the dals which is easy to digest and provides a meal full of protein, iron and vitamins just right as the first meal of a 6 month old baby.
Even tough it seems like the simplest of dishes but if the dals are mixed in wrong ratio then it can lead to sometimes diarrhoea or constipation. So the rule of thumb is to mix all dal in specific quantities.
Below is the recipe to prepare around 250 gms of Mix Dal.
- 1. 60 gms brown rice
- 2. 60 gms Massor dal
- 3. 60 gms toor dal
- 4. 60 gms yellow moong dal
- 5. 1/4th teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 6. 1/4th teaspoon of carrom seeds
- 7. 4 cashew
- 8. 4 almonds
- 9. 2 cardamom
- 10. 1/4th teaspoon of fennel seeds
You would need a Dehydrating machine to dehydrate (drying the moisture) ingredients. We do not prefer sun drying as sun drying kills 50% of the nutrition value and changes taste. Dust can also sit on the grains if they are kept out for sun drying. If you do not have a dehydrating machine you can get it from online stores like amazon.
Method to prepare the mix:
- 1. Soak all the Ingredients separately in bowl for about 1 hour.
- 2. Drain out the water completely.
- 3. Put the ingredients into the dehydrating machine for about 3 to4 hours at 55ºC.
- 5. Dry roast each ingredient separately in a pan (do not mix the ingredients and roast, as the roasting temperature of all the ingredients are different).
- 6. Cumin, fennel, carrom cashew, almond and Cardamom can be dry roasted together.
- 7. Mix all the ingredients together and let them cool to room temperature.
- 8. Grind the mixture into fine powder.
- 9. Sieve the coarse particles to get a fine powder.
- 10. Store it in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
- 11. It can be stored at room temperature for even upto 6 months, if followed the directions correctly.
- 1. Add 4 tablespoon of the mix in clean bowl (avoid plastic bowls).
- 2. Add 100ml of hot boiling water to it.
- 3. Mix it well till there are no lumps and you reach the desired consistency.
- 4. Cover it with the lid for 8 to 10 mins.
- 5. Fruit purees or vegetable purees must be added for enhancing taste.
- 6. Serve it lukewarm.
- 7. Use the mixture within 30 mins of preparation.
4 day rule :
If this is the 1st time you are serving this dish or introducing any other dish to your baby, then give it continuously for at least 4 days. Even if the baby pukes or gets loose motions for a couple of days. It is believed that babies take around 4 days to adjust with any new ingredient.If this is the 1st time you are serving this dish or introducing any other dish to your baby, then give it continuously for at least 4 days. Even if the baby pukes or gets loose motions for a couple of days. It is believed that babies take around 4 days to adjust with any new ingredient.
Choosing quality ingredients and cooking meals for your baby can be a daunting task specially for a new mother. But don’t let that come in between your child’s health. You may also click below and order from us. We get organic quality ingredients straight from farmers and cook in our studio kitchen, not in factories. We hate adding any artificial flavour, salt, sugar or preservatives. Just like how you would give it to your child.BUY Mix Khichdi